Saturday, October 1, 2011

Autumn

Last week our focus was on Autumn.  We were able to observe a few leaves changing colors and even a few chilly mornings.Family Home Evening was an epic fail. I'd made this puzzle from the friend:
I'd cut the descriptions out and glued them to the back of each piece, and then laminated the pieces. We were supposed to put the puzzle together and read the descriptions and discuss. Well, lets just say, things didn't work out. We didn't even finish FHE... I left the room after one of the kids threw a chair at me, etc. Like I said, epic fail.

The reason I'd chosen this was because I had this file folder game from Green Jellow with Carrots.
Autumn Build a House File Folder Game
In going with my autumn theme I was going to put the Friend descriptions from the Happy Home puzzle on the back of the "Autumn Build a House" pieces and build the "Happy Home" from the file folder game.  Anyway, that didn't work out so I used the real pieces from the friend. 

But I did make the file folder game and JJ has loved creating our old neighborhood including our house, Gino's house, Leonardo's house, and even Grandma & Bonka's house. 
Photobucket

For activities during the week I had grand ideas but life kinda got crazy.  None of our fun art projects that I'd dreamed of ever came to fruition.  There are GREAT ideas on this blog that I had full intentions on using:
totally tots
Here's the link for the autumn activities:
Photobucket

From the site below, I printed a little book, colored it, laminated it and read it to the kids throughout the week.

The "Concept Book," Fall Is is found here.

Other books we read this week:
Why Do Leaves Change Color? (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)
Why do Leaves Change Color?

BABYBUG October 2009
Babybug October 2009
A Day at the Apple Orchard

1 comments:

Tonii said...

Ughh...I feel you on the fhe's that seem to be an epic fail! :)
So many weeks I try and plan a theme and coordinating activites and before I know it its Friday and I haven't done a thing! Thank you for sharing your fun ideas...I know your kids will remember that YOU valued fhe and teaching them even if it seems lost on them now! :)